Nandan M Nilekani's Parliament experience

27.7.09
i dont usually read forwarded e-mails , if its pics obviously ill have a look especially when its some great models in minimal dresses :) but somehow i read one story today, nandan nilekanis first day at parliament school, i couldn't stop reading in the middle of the story as i usually does... hope you will also enjoy reading.....


The House was in pin drop silence. I was brimming with
anticipation and
excitement!!!! Manmohan had informed me that my
introduction was one of
the important points of the agenda. I hoped that I will be
able to make

my speech properly. After so many interviews and
conferences, I was
nervous today!!!! After the Speaker indicated that the
proceedings of
the House could begin, Manmohan formally introduced me to
the entire
House. He mentioned that as the head of the Unique
Identification

Authority of India, I was responsible to ensure that each
and every
Indian had a digital smart card as a proof of his
existence.

Manmohan spoke about why I was selected and also some
references to the
various projects executed by me in Infosys were mentioned.
The House

listened with rapt attention. I was asked to say a few
words and I did
exactly the same!!! I thanked the Government of India for
having given
me this opportunity and I assured the House that I would
strive to
successfully deliver this project. The Speaker then
formally inducted me

into the House and before the proceedings could move any
forward, there
was a small commotion on the other side of the hall.

It was Minister of Textiles who had a comment to make
before the next
point on the agenda. He made a request that I should be
attired in a

more austere way instead of a flashy suit. It did not go
well with the
image of a minister who should live to serve the common man
and should
be less ostentatious in his habits. I stood up to reply. I
offered my

apologies to the Honourable Minister and assured that I
shall be in a
more acceptable dress next time. I felt that he was right.
We also used
to have corporate dress code in Infosys. So it's here
as well!!!!


I sat down and felt somebody nudging me. I turned around
and to my
surprise; it was the former Indian skipper and one of my
favourite
batsman Mohd. Azharuddin. I remembered that he had recently
won the
elections. I smiled at him and mentioned to him that I used
to like his

game very much, shaking his hand. No Rolex, I noticed.
Azhar told me
that he would "fix" me an appointment with an
Italian designer who had
designed his dapper Kurta suit. An Italian designer in
Milan doing

Kurtas!!!!! I made a note of this and reminded myself to
give this
example to Friedman for his next book," The World
Markets are
flattened".

Since there was no doubt about the "Fixational"
capacities of Azhar, I

told him to give me the details and I would consider. The
proceedings of
the House went on with numerous bills being debated and
passed as I sat
as a passive audience waiting for my project's turn to
come up. After

the lunch break, it was the moment for me!!!!

MY PROJECT"S FIRST REVIEW CAME UP FOR PRESENTATION.

I was at sea. My laptop did not have any reserve power. I
went to
Manmohan and apprised him of the situation. I was sweating.
He calmly

replied that this would not be a cause of concern. I was
flummoxed!!!!
The Speaker asked me to explain to the House on what were
my plans for
the Unique Identity Project. I replied that I have a plan
prepared for

30-60-90-120 days' milestones and I have presentation
to make for which
I need a power socket, a projector and a screen. I had no
idea what was
going to happen after this.

The next couple of minutes were a complete jolt for me. I
was completely

in a tizzy. Let me just summarize what happened. A Joint
Cabinet
Secretary Committee was set up to judge the feasibility of
my request.
The Under Secretaries for the Ministries of Power, IT and
Broadcasting
will prepare a Viability Report after scrutinizing National
Security

threats to my request. This was because the power socket
comes under
Power, laptop comes under IT and projector comes under
Broadcasting. I
have also been told to reconsider my timelines of 30-60-90
days and
start thinking in terms of years. Probably, they are right.
I did not

have the foresight in this matter.

The summary of the issue is that I need to come up with a
more
inclusive, democratic, comprehensive long term plan for
this project to
be executed over the next five years. I have also been
given a

presentation slot 3 months from now (by which the issues
related to the
power cord etc will also be resolved). I am filled with
mixed reactions.
I was planning for a quick resolution; the management wants
a strategic

solution. I come out of the House and text Murthy.

"You won't believe it but these guys work just
like us. I am on a
NATIONAL BENCH for the next three months!!!!!!!!"


Thanks

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

2 Responses:

Mark said...

It's obviously a fake.

sabith pocker said...

even then i appreciate the imagination.. :P